Monday, July 18, 2011

Lead by example...

I had to run to the blue store earlier today. I really hate going there but had a list of cleaning products we had run out of, and their prices are the lowest around for that kind of stuff.

I had my 13 year old son, and 18 month old daughter with me. As we passed the ladies "unmentionables" department, my son noticed a girl who was walking through the department. From the back she looked about 15, "slamming" body (according to my son), and had on short shorts with "cutie" written across the butt, a skimpy tank top (bra straps showing), and sine cute girly tennis shoes on. Long blonde hair in a messy bun...as she turned around I expected a fresh faced teenager. Instead, I saw an older woman, with a younger daughter in front of her, looking at push up bras. The young girl could not have been older than 10, and was asking to get a lacy push up bra. The mom said no, that is was too "racy", and offered the same bra, but without the lace.

I looked at my son and asked what he thought of that and he said "I don't care how good your body might be, it is NOT ok to dress like that when you are a mom". I was very glad to hear him say this, and a part of me wished he had said it loud enough for that mom to hear. Sure, I may dress like a mom, fairly conservative, my hair is usually in some sort of a headband or clip, and I either have on flip flops or tennis shoes, but he is the thing...I AM A MOM. I'm 38, I don't have the time, or the energy, to flat iron my every day and do a full face of makeup. And, regardless of how awesome of a body I might have at some point in the future, I wii never, ever, ever dress like a teenager.

The fact that this woman was telling her daughter a bra was too racy was hysterical, and sad to me at the same time. Hysterical because of the hypocrisy of the situation, and sad because she had no idea how she looks to the rest of the world, and what a poor example she is setting for her daughter. There is a saying...do as I say, not as I do. People need to stop using that as an excuse for bad behavior, and bad parenting. Grow up, take a good look in the mirror, and realize you aren't a teenager anymore. You are a grown up, act like one.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment: